This gluten-free stuffing recipe with sausage is a classic, simple holiday side dish - the perfect Thanksgiving stuffing!
First thing's first - dressing or stuffing? 😉 Just kidding..my husband (the English teacher) was happy to inform me that this gluten-free stuffing recipe with sausage should technically be called a gluten-free dressing recipe because dressing is when it's baked on the outside and stuffing is when it's actually cooked inside a turkey. Yeah, yeah...semantics. 😉 No matter what you call it, this gluten-free stuffing is a perfect addition to your Thanksgiving menu!
Gluten-Free Stuffing Recipe Notes
- You can use any gluten-free bread you desire (or even regular bread, if no one at your Thanksgiving dinner needs to avoid gluten). I love a good gluten-free whole grain bread for a little extra flavor, fiber, and often a little extra texture from seeds.
- You can totally make this vegetarian - just use vegetable broth and omit the sausage, or use a vegetarian sausage alternative.
- You can use any type of sausage you prefer - pork, turkey, chicken, etc. Even flavored sausages can work, just know any flavors in the sausage will be noticeable in the gluten-free stuffing!
- To make in advance, I would toast the bread cubes and prepare the sausage vegetable mixture and store both separately. Prior to baking I would toss together the sausage vegetable mixture, bread cubes, and broth, then pop it in the oven.
More Healthy Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes
Try these healthy Thanksgiving side dish recipes, too!
- Greek Yogurt Mashed Potatoes
- Gluten-Free, Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Easy, Vegan Creamed Corn
- Apple Cranberry Sauce
- Prosciutto Green Beans
- Cinnamon Carrots
- Rosemary Roasted Cauliflower
- Salted Caramel Apple Butter
- Cranberry Apple Harvest Salad
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Grapes
Take a pic of your holiday spreads and be sure to tag me (@nutritiontofit, #nutritiontofit) if you make any NTF recipes! Live well!
Gluten-Free Stuffing Recipe with Sausage
- 12 slices gluten-free bread sliced into small cubes
- 1 pound sausage
- 1 medium yellow or white onion chopped
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ¾ cups low-sodium chicken broth (divided)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- Toast bread cubes on baking sheet at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until firm and crisp (length of toasting time will depend on how fresh your bread is - I used a very fresh loaf and needed 15 minutes).
- Brown sausage in a large rimmed skillet. Remove and place on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess grease.
- Deglaze pan with ¼ cup broth. Saute onion, celery, and garlic until tender and translucent. Add spices. Add browned sausage back to the pan.
- In a large bowl combine sausage and vegetable mixture, toasted bread cubes, and remaining 1 ½ cups broth.
- Prepare a 9x13-inch baking dish by lightly greasing it with olive oil. Spread stuffing mixture inside pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until stuffing is crisp, crunchy, and golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately. If needing to reheat, use the oven so the stuffing will stay crispy on top!