This vegan creamed corn recipe is an easy take on the classic side dish without all the chemicals and weird ingredients that come from a can.
Creamed corn is a Thanksgiving side dish that I didn't grow up seeing on my family's holiday table. Maybe it was being from New England and the fact that we usually had other side dishes that we turned to. Things like butternut squash, green beans, pumpkin souffle, mashed potatoes, etc. Regardless, I wasn't introduced to cream corn until the first holiday I spent with my now-husband's family.
I've got to be honest....I was initially a little underwhelmed. I think because my husband had talked it up as one of his favorite Thanksgiving side dishes, my expectations were probably a little high. 😉 I thought it was okay...I've got to be honest that I didn't love that it came from a can and had high fructose corn syrup. I also thought I could easily make a creamed corn side dish myself. (For the record, canned food can be a healthy staple in every pantry, but not when it's loaded with HFCS and excess sodium.)
So, here we are, a decade later and it's time I share the NTF version of one of the EASIEST Thanksgiving side dishes. It's become one of my husband's favorite recipes I've adapted from the original version. Except this version doesn't have high fructose corn syrup, thickeners, it's plant-based, and devoid of the most common food allergens. Basically, this NTF Creamed Corn is a vegan creamed corn that takes little time to make, can be made in advance, and will make even the vegan and food allergic friends and family members happy. 🙂
Easy, vegan creamed corn recipe notes:
This vegan creamed corn recipe is a pretty simple and flexible recipe. You can use a rice milk to make sure it's suitable for anyone with any of the top eight most common food allergens (wheat, dairy, tree nuts, peanuts, soy, fish, shellfish, eggs). Or if you know you and your guests can have and prefer other milks or milk substitutes, you can use whatever you enjoy.
And if you're not a fan of maple syrup, or just don't have any on hand, you can substitute another liquid sweetener in equal amounts. Try agave nectar or honey instead!
Let me know if you try this simple side dish, and pleas share how you and your family enjoy it!
Easy Vegan Creamed Corn Recipe
- 4 cups corn *if frozen, be sure to thaw first and drain any excess liquid. If canned, be sure to use no added salt corn and drain and rinse thoroughly.
- ½ cup rice milk or any milk/ milk substitute
- 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Optional: pinch of pepper and pinch of nutmeg
- In a blender, place 2 c. corn and the rice milk. Blend on medium speed for 30-60 seconds, or until smooth.
- In a skillet over medium heat combine the remaining corn, maple syrup, salt, and blended corn milk mixture. Allow to simmer for 7-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately. If making in advance, refrigerate in an airtight container up to 48 hours. Prior to serving simply reheat in the skillet again or in the microwave for just a couple minutes.