This zucchini corn chowder is a fresh and flavorful chowder perfect for summer! Use your garden zucchini, corn, and basil to make this nourishing, seasonal plant-based soup. Creamy and delicious, corn zucchini chowder is a family favorite!
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- This chowder is full of flavor, but still incredibly simple to make.
- It's a perfect recipe to use up your abundant summer garden produce, like fresh zucchini, corn, and basil!
- Chowder is very family-friendly. In fact, when I first created this recipe, my oldest child was eight months old and even then as a baby she was obsessed!
- No garden produce? No worries! Instead, you can very easily use fresh, frozen, or canned produce in this recipe, making it more affordable and accessible. Research even shows that frequent canned food use is positively associated with higher nutrient intake in U.S. children and adults and a higher quality diet.
Zucchini Corn Chowder Recipe Tips:
- I recommend using a sturdy spiralizer (affiliate link) to create zucchini noodles.
- No spiralizer? No problem! You can simply dice your zucchini, or use a regular or julienne vegetable peeler to create little ribbons of vegetables.
- Sensitive to corn products? Try arrowroot starch in a 1:1 equal substitution instead of the cornstarch.
- Allergic to coconuts? Substitute whole milk, half and half, or cream instead of the coconut milk. I had a reader question asking if I have ever tried yogurt and a lighter milk, but I have not tested that, so if you try it, report back!
- If you happen to have leftovers, store in the fridge in an airtight container and consume within three days.
More Tasty Recipes You'll Love:
- BBQ Chicken & Zucchini Skewers
- Zucchini Noodle Antipasto Salad
- Spiced Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
- Mexican Chicken Chili
- Hearty Vegetable Chili
- 3-Ingredient Black Bean Soup
Did you make this recipe? Give it a 5★ rating below! For more healthy recipes and tips to create your own balanced relationship with food and health, be sure to follow Nutrition to Fit on Instagram!
Zucchini Corn Chowder
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth divided
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cans whole kernel sweet corn drained and rinsed
- 1 can coconut milk (full fat)
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 medium zucchini spiraled or sliced into zucchini noodles or chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat ¼ cup of the vegetable broth in a large stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, carrots, and onion and saute in the broth for 4-5 minutes, or until onions are translucent and carrots are becoming tender.
- Stir in corn and ground ginger until combined.
- Add remaining vegetable stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and stir.
- Remove 3 cups of the chowder and place in a blender. Add cornstarch to mixture in blender. Blend on low for 30 seconds, or until pureed smooth.
- Add puree back into chowder and stir for 1-2 minutes, or until mixture has thickened slightly.
- Turn heat to medium-low.
- Add zucchini noodles and fresh basil. Stir and allow noodles to slightly cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Season as needed with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe was originally published on July 16, 2017 and was re-published on June 24, 2022.