Does anyone else ever “accidentally” let their bananas get too ripe so then you “have to” make banana bread? Asking for a friend…
Okay, just kidding, I’ve totally done that. I’ve also bought more bananas that I knew we’d go through, I’ve “forgotten” to freeze bananas for nice cream and smoothies, and I’ve totally bought bananas more ripe than I’d ever eat them plain.
((Side note: please tell me there are other plain banana eater freaks out there. Like…they have to be pristine, yellow and sliiiiightly green, and not a brown speck or bruise.))
Anyway, I decided we needed to branch out from our usual banana bread. When I was looking through my old recipes, I came across my Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal. I’ve made so many variations of this recipe over the past couple of years, and I thought – why not combine banana bread and baked oatmeal? So I did!
This recipe is pretty straight forward. It’s low in added sweetener (or you can leave it out altogether). It’s vegan, packed full of whole grains, fiber, and healthy fats. But beyond all that? It’s a fun hybrid between banana bread and baked oatmeal that results in a delicious breakfast the whole family will love!
Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 mashed bananas
- 1 1/2 cups milk or unsweetened milk alternative
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup optional
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups old fashioned oats gluten-free, if need be
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare an 8x8-inch squash baking pan by spraying with nonstick spray or very lightly brushing with oil or butter.
- Combine water and chia seeds and allow to sit for 15 minutes, or until chia seeds have gelatinized and absorbed much of the water.
- Combine all wet ingredients (chia seed mixture, banana, milk, maple syrup, and vanilla).
- Add remaining dry ingredients (flax, cinnamon, baking powder, oats) and stir until combined.
- Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until firm and set, and the center is not jiggly.
- Can be frozen in individually wrapped portions for 1-2 months, or in a sealed, airtight container in the refrigerator up to a week.