Simple ingredients combine to create a healthy Mexican Chicken Chili in your slow cooker.
I looovveee chili. Let me count the ways!
- It's super versatile - you can make chili about a million different ways.
- Even if you make a vegetarian chili, it usually can please your carnivore friends.
- It's a very comforting meal.
- It is probably one of the most quintessential slow cooker meals, and you know I love to set it and forget it!
- It's really easy to sneak extra veggies in! It's so easy to add things like tomatoes, peppers, onions, corn, and so many more. Plus all the beans = fiber!
I could keep going, but you get the idea. I think a lot of people think of chili as heavy food, and sure, it can be if you're not using a lean ground meat and if you're adding a lot of toppings like full fat sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips, etc. But chili can also be pretty healthy, and a great way to sneak in a bunch of lean protein, veggies, and even whole grains. That's definitely what I tried to do here with this slow cooker Mexican Chicken Chili. I kept it simple, with the only prep required being to chop red bell pepper and open a few cans. It's also lightened up a bit from traditional chili by using chicken breasts and using a pop of flavor from spices instead of extra fat in the cooking process. (Don't get me wrong - fat is not bad, I just prefer to add things like avocado to my chili than to use a fattier meat.) Let me know if you guys give this a try. I hope you liked it as much as we did - my husband and I were fighting for the last of the leftovers! (And for the record, like most chili it gets better the longer it cooks and is even better for leftovers!)
Mexican Chicken Chili
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 14.5 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15.25 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Optional toppings: avocado sour cream, Greek yogurt, cilantro, baked corn tortilla chips, lime wedge, salsa, onion
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker and set on low for at least five hours.
- Prior to serving, shred the chicken breasts in the chili. Serve, topping with any desired toppings or leaving as-is!