Watermelon Agua Fresca is a refreshing summer beverage of blended fruit, water, and lime. It’s perfect for Cinco de Mayo and summertime festivities!
I’ve been loving agua frescas lately, especially this Watermelon Agua Fresca. They’re simple and refreshing blended beverages that are typically just fruit, water, lime, and a bit of sweetener. I tend to opt for no added sugar to let the natural sweetness of the fruit shine and to cut down on the amount of added sugar in my diet.
Watermelon Agua Fresca is a classic option for agua fresca, which makes sense given how sweet and hydrating watermelon is! Health benefits of watermelon include:
- Watermelon is 92% water, making it incredibly hydrating and can help increase feelings of satiety.
- Watermelon contains lycopene and cucurbitacin E, which have been studied in relation to their potential role in cancer prevention.
- The same lycopene, along with other vitamins and minerals like citrulline, vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin C, magnesium, and potassium are all beneficial for heart health.
- Watermelon is full of antioxidants, like vitamin C and lycopene, which can have anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Watermelon may aid in post-exercise recovery, potentially possible due to citrulline and its effect on easing muscle soreness.
- Watermelon contains nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C, lycopene, and beta-carotene, which can be good for your skin and hair, including potentially being protective against sumburn.
You can also make this Watermelon Agua Fresca your own by adding other flavors, like fresh mint, fresh basil, or fresh ginger. If you decide you want a little extra sweetness, feel free to sweeten as you wish, or try my favorite agua fresca hack: use coconut water instead of water for some added electrolytes and natural sweetness! The coconut flavor pairs well – I usually will do half water and half coconut water if I’m adding coconut water.
Want to learn more about agua frescas and why they can be part of a healthy diet? Check out my post on How to Make Agua Fresca. And if you enjoyed this Watermelon Agua Fresca and want to try some other flavors, check out my other favorite agua fresca recipes, too:
- Cantaloupe Basil Agua Fresca
- Grape Agua Fresca
- Strawberry Ginger Agua Fresca
- Cucumber Mint Agua Fresca
- Mango Agua Fresca
Try making Watermelon Agua Fresca to enjoy as part of Cinco de Mayo festivities, bridal showers, baby showers, or hot summer days, they’re a refreshing addition to quickly blend together. If you make any of these agua fresca recipes, or if create your own, let me know what you think! Leave a comment (and rate the recipe!) below, and share a picture to social media (tag @nutritiontofit and #nutritiontofit).
Watermelon Agua Fresca
- 1 cup watermelon
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp lime juice juice from 1/2 a lime
- Combine all ingredients in a high-powered blender. Blend on high for 60 seconds, or until all ingredients are fully pureed.