Overnight chia oats are a healthy meal prep breakfast recipe. They're delicious on their own or topped with your favorite fruit.
Do you ever go through phases of wanting the same food over and over for breakfast? I do! I'll have days and weeks where all I want is avocado toast with eggs. Then sometimes it's smoothies and other times it's these overnight chia oats.
Why Overnight Chia Oats are Awesome
- They're so easy! Minimal ingredients, minimal prep.
- Great for meal prep. You can easily and quickly prep a bunch for you and your family all at once.
- Everyone loves it. Seriously- me, my husband, my kids, my clients. It's a great, basic overnight oats recipe!
- Room for lots of variations. There's a lot of ways you can add flavors or fruits to make this whatever you're craving. Check out some ideas later in the post!
These overnight chia oats have just a few simple ingredients, but they provide a variety of macronutrients and micronutrients, too.
- Oats: They must be old-fashioned oats. Neither steel cut oats or instant oats will absorb the same way and will create a different texture.
- Chia Seeds: They help create the best overnight oats texture. Plus chia seeds are super nutrient-dense, packed with protein, fiber, healthy fats, and loads of micronutrients.
- Milk: Use whatever you like to drink.
- Nut Butter or Seed Butter: Again - use what you like or have on hand! No matter the type, this adds healthy fats and a little protein to help make this more balanced and satisfying.
- Sweetener: a little goes a long way! Use whatever you prefer - honey, date syrup, or even something like stevia, monk fruit, or allulose. (Note: honey is not safe for a child under age 1.)
How to Make Overnight Chia Oats
- Whisk together milk, sweetener, and nut/ seed butter. You can also quickly combine all the ingredients by blending in a blender on medium to high speed for 30-60 seconds.
- Pour liquid in a mason jar or other airtight container and add oats and chia seeds. Seal the lid and shake the mason jar to combine.
- Refrigerate overnight (at least a four hours). Stir again just before serving and top with any desired toppings.
Chia Overnight Oats Recipe Variations
Because this is such a straightforward recipe, I love making countless variations of it! Here are some of my favorites:
Chocolate PB Banana Overnight Chia Oats
- Keep the recipe the same, using peanut butter, and also blend a tablespoon of cocoa powder into the liquid. Before serving, add half a chopped banana and a teaspoon of mini chocolate chips.
Blueberry Almond Chia Overnight Oats
- Keep the recipe the same, using almond butter. Before serving, stir in a half cup of fresh blueberries (or thawed frozen blueberries) and top with a teaspoon of slivered almonds.
Raspberry Lemon Overnight Chia Oats
- Same recipe, but use cashew butter and blend the juice and zest from half a lemon into the liquid ingredients. Before serving top with (or stir in) a half cup of fresh (or thawed frozen) raspberries.
Shop the Ingredients
Need to stock up on the essentials to make this recipe? Here are the items in my pantry that I use to make these chia overnight oats all the time. P.S. I always try to find the best prices/ price per ounce, personally! (All Amazon affiliate links):
- Gluten-free old-fashioned oats
- Chia seeds
- Honey or Maple Syrup
- Shelf-stable almond milk
- Peanut butter
- Sunflower seed butter
- Chocolate sunflower seed butter
- Almond butter
- Cashew butter
More Healthy Oat Recipes
Try some of these other popular breakfast recipes that can be made ahead!
- Protein Overnight Oats
- Oatmeal Banana Muffins
- Blueberry Matcha Overnight Oats
- Baked Vanilla Oatmeal Custard
Did you make this recipe? Give it a 5★ rating below! For more healthy recipes and tips to create your own balanced relationship with food and health, be sure to follow Nutrition to Fit on Instagram!
Overnight Chia Oats
- ¼ cup old-fashioned oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon nut or seed butter of choice
- 1 teaspoon honey or other sweetener
- ⅔ cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- Whisk together milk of choice, sweetener, and nut/ seed butter. You can also quickly combine all the ingredients by blending in a blender on medium to high speed for 30-60 seconds.
- Pour liquid in a mason jar or other airtight container and add oats and chia seeds. Seal and shake the jar to combine.
- Refrigerate overnight (or at least a four hours). Stir again just before serving and top with any desired toppings.