Black Forest Overnight Oats are creamy, rich, and fudge, studded with sweet cherries. And while these Chocolate Cherry Overnight Oats taste indulgent, they're a balanced way to start the day. They've got over 30 grams protein and 12 grams fiber.
Why You'll Love These Chocolate Cherry Overnight Oats
- These black forest overnight oats pair sweet, indulgent cherries with rich, creamy fudgy chocolate protein overnight oats - so delicious!
- Despite how decadent they taste, they're actually an incredibly balanced breakfast! They've got over 30 grams protein, 12 grams fiber, and no added sugar.
- Chocolate cherry overnight oats only need 7 ingredients and less than 10 minutes of hands-on time. Then just go to bed and you'll wake up to a satisfying grab-and-go breakfast!
- Old-Fashioned Oats: I recommend using old-fashioned oats for a classic overnight oats texture. If you do choose steel cut or quick cut oats, know those will impact the absorption amount and time.
- Cherries: Cherries (along with chocolate) are a staple in black forest dishes. You can use fresh cherries, or frozen that have been thawed. Be sure to remove all pits from fresh cherries!
- Chocolate Protein Powder: Chocolate protein powder adds sweetness, chocolaty flavor, and packs in protein. It helps make these overnight oats a more balanced breakfast. I personally use Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate Whey Protein. They're third party tested, more accessible, and taste good -- but use what works for you! (I always recommend purchasing supplements that are third party tested, though.)
- Cocoa Powder: A tablespoon helps create a rich and fudgy chocolate flavor. Nutritionally, it also adds some fiber, iron, and additional antioxidants.
- Flax & Chia Seeds: I like to use a mix of both flax and chia seeds for both nutrition (adds more healthy fats, fiber, and a little protein) and function (helps absorb liquid and creates an ideal creamy overnight oats texture).
- Greek Yogurt: Greek yogurt adds the best creaminess, plus nutritional benefits, too, like more protein and calcium.
- Milk of Choice: I use unsweetened almond milk in this recipe and in the nutrition calculations, but use whatever milk you prefer to drink.
Best Tips to Make Black Forest Overnight Oats
- Use old-fashioned oats - this recipe has been tested most successfully with old-fashioned oats. Using steel cut oats will require more liquid and a longer absorption time, whereas using quick oats may require less liquid and/ or less absorption time.
- After you stir the overnight oats, let them set on the counter for a few minutes while you put everything away and tidy up. Then, before you refrigerate your oats overnight, give them a second stir. This second stir is KEY for preventing the oats and seeds from settling at the bottom.
- Sweeten to your preferences - I personally don't like things overly sweet, and find the sweetener included in my protein powder along with the natural sweetness of cherries is plenty sweet. But if you like things very sweet and/ or are using an unsweetened protein powder, you may prefer to add a little of your prefer sweetener.
- Always give your oats a stir in the morning before eating to see if you need to add a splash or two of milk to create your desired consistency.
- Don't forget to add some fun toppings! A dollop of whipped cream, mini chocolate chips, and a cherry on top are fun, dessert-inspired toppings, but fresh cherries and almonds are crazy delicious here, too!
Are these chocolate cherry overnight oats dairy-free?
They can be made dairy-free by using a plant-based protein powder, plant-based milk alternative, and a dairy-free yogurt (such as a coconut milk-based yogurt).
Note that those adjustments will change nutrition information listed, and using a thinner yogurt will affect the texture of the oats (I'd start with ⅓ cup milk instead of ½ cup in that case - you can always add more later!).
Are overnight oats gluten-free?
Overnight oats are gluten-free as long as you're using certified gluten-free oats.
Do you eat overnight oats hot or cold?
Either! Overnight oats are often consumed cold, but they can easily be warmed.
To warm up your overnight oats, heat them in a microwave-safe container in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring between each set.
Alternatively, you can reheat in a pot on the stove over medium heat, but you'll likely need to add a little more liquid here as some liquid is cooked out while reheating.
Are overnight oats healthy?
Overnight oats can absolutely be a part of a healthy, balanced diet. (But remember - it's not really about individual foods, but more so about your overall eating pattern.)
But overnight oats, like these, are typically a great source of fiber (especially soluble fiber) and often contain protein from certain types of yogurts, milks, and protein powders.
How long do overnight oats last?
Overnight oats last about 3 days in the fridge.
If you need to prepare overnight oats for beyond 3 days, I would suggest prepping the dry ingredients in a mason jar, then sealing it and storing it in your pantry. The night before you need them, simply add the coconut milk and yogurt.
Why are my overnight oats too thick/ thin?
There could be several reasons for absorption issues with your overnight oats. Different protein powders, types of milk, yogurts, and types of oats (i.e. old-fashioned vs. quick) can all alter how much liquid is absorbed.
Plus we all have personal preferences, too, so some (like me!) may prefer overnight oats a little thicker and creamier, and some may prefer them thinner.
Play around with your specific ingredients to see if you need to adjust liquid levels to suit your preferences.
More Delicious Overnight Oats Recipes
- Chocolate Protein Overnight Oats
- Coconut Cream Pie Overnight Oats
- Turmeric Overnight Oats
- Mango Overnight Oats
- Blueberry Matcha Overnight Oats
Did you make this recipe? Give it a 5★ rating below! For more healthy recipes and tips to create your own balanced relationship with food and health, be sure to follow Nutrition to Fit on Instagram!
Black Forest Overnight Oats
- Combine all the ingredients except the cherries into a small bowl or mason jar. Stir until evenly combined.
- Let mixture set for 5 minutes then stir again. This step helps prevent the oats and seeds from settling at the bottom of the jar. If you want to mix your cherries in, stir in now.
- Cover the container and refrigerate overnight oats for overnight, or at least 4 hours.
- When ready to eat, stir and see if you need to add an extra splash or two of milk to create your ideal consistency.
- Stir in or layer overnight oats with cherries. If desired, garnish with a small dollop of whipped cream and a few mini chocolate chips and enjoy.