Oatmeal is anything but boring in this delicious, decadent make-ahead Baked Vanilla Oatmeal Custard breakfast your kids will never know is healthy and packed with protein and fiber!
Edited 1/24/2018: please see recipe notes for instructions to make dairy-free and egg-free.
You guys. I’m not sure anything I write can give justice in describing how awesome this Baked Vanilla Oatmeal Custard is! It is just soooo creamy, comforting, and delicious. Like – when I was developing the recipe I thought it would be good, but boy it was even better than I thought!
The best thing about it, though, aside from the taste? It’s that it’s actually a more balanced breakfast than regular ol’ plain oatmeal. Gluten-free oats are blended with eggs, plain Greek yogurt, and fat free milk to amp up the protein and create the creamy, custard-like texture. Ground flax seed is included to up the natural nuttiness of the oats and add more fiber. Vanilla extract and maple syrup round out the ingredients to give a wholesome, comforting sweetness that brings the flavor to the next level. Everything is blended together, baked, and breakfast is born!
This is a great make-ahead breakfast for all my meal preppers out there, although the custard-like texture is best fresh. Since it’s a cozy vanilla, it’s great on its own, but also lends well to a variety of added flavors. Scoop out some Baked Vanilla Oatmeal Custard (warm or cold!) and top how you want. We love adding fruit, like fresh berries or banana slices, seeds (chia, pumpkin, sunflower, and hemp are awesome!), and a drizzle of milk – we used canned, light coconut milk to drizzle on top for even more creaminess. You can also add cinnamon, nutmeg, peanut butter, nuts – the options for toppings are only limited by your imagination!
I can’t wait for you guys to try this recipe. It’s totally a new favorite in my house, for breakfast, snacks, and dessert! Let me know what fun topping combinations you think would go well! If you try it, be sure to snap a pic and share what you think on the NTF Facebook Page or on Instagram (tag me @nutrition and the hashtag #nutritiontofit for everyone to see!)
Baked Vanilla Oatmeal Custard
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1 cup plain, fat free Greek yogurt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Blend all ingredients in a blender on medium speed until blended, about 30-60 seconds. (When you stop blending, the oats and the liquid may separate, and even be separated a bit in the baking dish - this is okay!)
- Pour blended oat mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until slightly golden brown and the center is firm and no longer jiggling.
- Can be served immediately, once cooled, or reheated. If there are leftovers, they can be saved in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.