This Healthy Corn Casserole is light, fluffy, creamy, and tastes so decadent! If you've never had this popular Southern holiday dish, it's like a corn bread and corn pudding hybrid! Best part? It's simple to make, too!
Why You'll Love This Healthy Corn Casserole
- It's so dang good. It tastes rich and indulgent, with all the creaminess of corn pudding, but can better hold its shape.
- This Healthy Corn Casserole is ridiculously easy to make. Combine just 6 ingredients in a bowl, stir, pour into a baking dish, and bake until done. That's it!
- While it's just as creamy, fluffy, and indulgent as more traditional Southern recipes, it's lighter and lower fat, with some of the fat content now using a more heart healthy extra virgin olive oil compared to butter with more saturated fat.
- It can be reheated if you need to make it ahead for a big holiday meal.
- Cornbread Muffin Mix: You need an 8.5 ounce cornbread muffin mix - such as Jiffy.
- Greek Yogurt: Plain, nonfat Greek yogurt gives the same creaminess as sour cream, but lighter and with more protein and less saturated fat.
- Corn Kernels: Drain a can of corn (I prefer no salt added) and this is ready to stir in.
- Creamed Corn: A can of creamed corn adds a little sweetness and extra moisture to help create the perfect fluffy, creamy texture.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Instead of a stick of butter in traditional Southern recipes, we cut back on the amount of fat (you genuinely won't miss it!) and use a heart healthy olive oil instead.
- Egg: The final ingredient to help hold everything together and create the ideal consistency.
Recipe Tips and Q&A
How do you know when it's done?
The corn casserole is done when it's golden brown around the edges and doesn't appear wet and jiggly in the center.
Can you make this corn casserole ahead of time?
Yes. If you need to make it ahead of time, I recommend making it a day in advance and keeping it refrigerated until you're ready to reheat.
How to reheat corn casserole:
Remove the corn casserole from the fridge and let come to room temperature for 30 minutes on the counter. Cover with foil and place in a 325°F oven for 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
Can you double the recipe?
Yes. Double all of the ingredients and bake in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Increase the baking time to 60 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges and the center is not wet/ jiggly.
How do you store leftovers?
Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container and kept refrigerated up to 5 days or frozen up to 3 months.
While corn casserole is traditionally pretty simply, just like this lightened recipe, you can totally make it your own with some fun variations:
- Cheesy: Add a half cup of shredded cheddar cheese into the batter, then halfway through baking sprinkle another ¼ to ½ cup cheese on top.
- Spicy: Dice a jalapeno pepper and add it to the batter. Top with jalapeno slices or pepperjack cheese.
- Bacon & Cheese: Add ¼ cup shredded cheese, 4 slices of crumbled bacon, and 2 tablespoons of chopped chives to the batter.
- Southwest: Dice half a bell pepper, ¼ of an onion, and add to the batter along with a 4 ounce can of chopped green chilies. Halfway through baking, sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
- Italian: Add ¼ cup each caramelized diced onions and peppers, a link of browned ground sausage, ¼ cup mozzarella cheese, 2 cloves minced garlic, and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning.
- Tomato Basil: Add 2 tablespoons minced sundried tomatoes and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil.
- Mediterranean: Add ¼ cup chopped roasted red peppers, ¼ cup sliced olives, ¼ cup feta cheese, and ½ teaspoon dried oregano.
Other Holiday Meal Recipes:
- Pomegranate Maple Glazed Ham
- Air Fryer Turkey Breast
- Prosciutto Green Beans
- Cranberry Apple Harvest Salad
- Greek Yogurt Mashed Potatoes
- Pumpkin Pie Crumble Bars
More Corn Recipes:
- Poblano Corn Salad with Chicken [sheet pan salad!]
- Popcorn Trail Mix
- Zucchini Corn Chowder
- Vegan Creamed Corn
Did you make this recipe? Give it a 5★ rating below! For more healthy recipes and tips to create your own balanced relationship with food and health, be sure to follow Nutrition to Fit on Instagram!
Healthy Corn Casserole
- 8.5 ounce cornbread muffin mix
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 can corn kernels drained
- 1 can creamed corn
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a 8x8" baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg. Add Greek yogurt and olive oil and whisk again. Stir in the creamed corn and drained corn kernels.
- Add the corn muffin mix to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the center is not wet and jiggly.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes before serving and enjoy.