Tasting more savory than sweet, this butternut squash soup recipe is simple and delicious and can easily be made for a family weeknight dinner!
One of my favorite fall foods is butternut squash. It’s just so versatile and can be used in many ways (hello adding purees to quick bread recipes and oatmeal, roasting slices or cubes, blending into soups or sauces, etc.) Plus it can so easily be made more savory or more sweet, depending on what you’re feeling!
Butternut squash is also loaded with nutritional benefits. Some that you’ll find include:
- Rich in carotenoids like beta-carotene, which for any other pregnant mamas out there can help support healthy lung development in fetuses and newborns.
- Good source of fiber, which will help make you feel fuller and help keep things regular.
- Significant amounts of potassium, which can help with bone health.
- High in vitamin B6, which helps with nervous and immune systems functioning.
I’ve always been a big fan of the classic butternut squash soup. Yet I’ve got to be honest – half the time I’ve eaten it in the past, it’s been from a boxed prepared soup I grab at the store for quick lunches. Well, that is no more! This recipe is definitely more savory than sweet (a huge preference of mine!), is much lower in sodium than boxed/ canned soups, has minimal ingredients, and is just so dang good you won’t miss boxed soups at all!
To make this soup a little more appropriate for a quick weeknight meal, I would 100% recommend prepping your butternut squash and onion ahead of time. Once peeled and chopped, both the butternut squash and sweet onion are hardy vegetables that will last in a sealed container, refrigerated, for several days. Then all you have to do is place your prepped veggies on a sheet pan, toss with olive oil and seasonings, roast, then blend with coconut milk! While your veggies are roasting you can complete your meal by making a component like salads, paninis, or grilled cheese.
I do have to give a little PSA here – please make sure your blender is covered when you start blending, especially if you crank the speed. I may have had the center part of my Vitamix lid empty andddd I may have had butternut squash soup splash to the top of my kitchen cabinets. Oops!
I hope y’all enjoy the simplicity of this delicious soup! I’m already trying to figure out how often is too often to make this recipe each week…
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupPrint
- 1 medium to large butternut squash peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion sliced and chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 15 oz can lite coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toss chopped butternut squash and onion with olive oil, thyme, pepper, and salt.
- Roast on a sheet pan for 35 minutes, or until tender and starting to caramelize.
- Transfer roasted vegetables into a blender and add the coconut milk.
- Blend until fully pureed.
- Can be served immediately or refrigerated in airtight containers for a couple days.