Rosemary cumin roasted chickpeas are a crunchy and delicious snack or appetizer packed with fiber and plant-based protein.
Please tell me you've tried crispy, crunchy, roasted chickpeas before! They're the best appetizer/ snack ever! (They also make a fantastic topping for Spiced Sweet Potato Carrot Soup!)
Bonus? They're super simple. Just open a can of chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) and drain then rinse them. I then like to use a clean dish towel or paper towels to pat them dry. Then toss them with some oil and spices on a baking sheet, pop in the oven, and 20-30 minutes later you've got beautifully crispy rosemary cumin roasted chickpeas.
I'm totally planning on making a double batch of these roasted chickpeas to serve as a Thanksgiving appetizer for easy snacking while Thanksgiving dinner comes together. (It's a much more nutritious option than snacking on potato chips!)
Why are roasted chickpeas such a healthy snack?
- FIBER! A ½ cup of chickpeas has 6g fiber. Fiber is so important for our digestive health, satiety and weight management, lowering cholesterol, blood glucose management, and more!
- PROTEIN! A ½ cup of chickpeas has about 7g plant-based protein. This makes chickpeas an excellent protein option for vegans or vegetarians, or for those looking for a cost-effective protein source.
- FOLATE! Chickpeas are high in B vitamins, including folate (a ½ cup contains roughly 20% your daily folate needs). Folate is essential for brain and nervous system health, cardiovascular health, red blood cell production, and reproductive health. Pregnant women often hear of the importance of folate in pregnancy as it helps reduce the incidence of spina bifida, a type of birth defect.
Honestly, there is so much more to this little legume, but those are my top fave three things about chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans). Besides the fact that they're so delicious. 😉
Also? You totally don't have to make these rosemary cumin roasted chickpeas just for Thanksgiving. They're delicious anytime! My favorite snack lately is slices of fresh honeycrisp apple paired with some of these crunchy little roasted chickpeas. So much yum!
Leave a comment and rate the recipe when you try them! And feel free to share a pic of your rosemary cumin roasted chickpeas on the NTF Facebook page or on Instagram (don't forget to tag me, @nutritiontofit amd #nutritiontofit!).
Rosemary Cumin Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon rubbed sage
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. For easier cleanup, line a sheet pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Dry off excess moisture from chickpeas by patting them dry with paper towels or a clean dish cloth.
- Place chickpeas on the sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and top with spices. Use your hands to toss the chickpeas in the spices.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until they're dark golden brown and crunchy.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container up to one week.