This coconut cauliflower rice is so easy it'll be a healthy dinner recipe staple!
Cauliflower rice has exploded in popularity in recent years, likely due to its popular use as a rice substitute for those following low/ lower carb diets. Now, in my personal and professional opinion, you don't have to be following a low carb lifestyle to enjoy cauliflower rice. If you like cauliflower - give it a go! Or if you're trying to branch out and try new veggies, sometimes trying vegetables in different forms can be a great way to introduce more flavors and variety in your diet. Even with kids - I know sometimes my daughter loves whole roasted cauliflower, and sometimes she likes cauliflower rice. There's nothing wrong with playing with your food! 😉
This coconut cauliflower rice is my current cauliflower rice obsession. It's simple, requires minimal ingredients, is made quickly, and has added flavor, satiety, and a very subtle sweetness from the coconut oil and coconut milk.
A note on the coconut milk: I use full fat canned coconut milk (if I'm shopping at Trader Joe's, it's the one in the yellow can!) - not lite coconut milk and not the coconut milk beverage found in the refrigerated section. I love the simplicity of the ingredients of the full fat canned coconut milk (coconut and water - although some brands contain gums/ other added thickeners), and I find the addition of fat to make this coconut cauliflower rice side dish more satisfying.
We love to make this coconut cauliflower rice as a basic side dish, as a base to burrito bowls or a side dish to any Mexican food dinner night, as a base for stir fries, and more. It's quite versatile!
You can add other flavorings, too, based on what you're pairing it with for dinner.
- Sometimes I love to add the juice of half a lime and a ½ teaspoon of cumin for a little more Mexican or Southwestern flavor.
- I've also tried adding some toasted sesame seeds and a dash of coconut aminos to pair with stir fries.
Basically - have fun with it! Share your coconut cauliflower rice creations on social media (tag @nutritiontofit and #nutritiontofit) and leave a review of the recipe below! And be sure to come back tomorrow for a delicious grilled fajita bowl using this coconut cauliflower rice!
Want more easy, allergy-friendly, healthy side dish recipes? Try these NTF faves:
- Cranberry Crunch Broccoli Slaw
- Blueberry Panzanella Salad
- 5-Minute Balsamic Thyme Tomato Salad
- 5-Minute Broccoli Kale Quinoa Salad
- Baked Spiced Sweet Potato Wedges
Coconut Cauliflower Rice
- 12 oz cauliflower rice frozen
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup canned coconut milk full fat
- salt to taste
- optional garnish: fresh cilantro or parsley
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add frozen cauliflower and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thawed and heated through.
- Add coconut oil and coconut milk. Stirring occasionally, cook another 5 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt to taste (some frozen riced cauliflower contains salt already added, so taste and add seasoning if needed).