Baked Spiced Sweet Potato Wedges are a super flavorful side thanks to the best sweet potato spice blend! They’re a versatile side dish and free of the top 8 most common food allergens.
Hey there, friends! I’m really excited to talk about sweet potatoes, these baked spiced sweet potato wedges and my FAVE sweet potato spice blend today, because it’s one of those recipes/ methods I’ve been meaning to share foreverrrrr.
Okay, so sweet potatoes. Everyone seems to love them and they seem to be such a staple in healthy living circles. While I’m totally in the camp of not labeling food “good” or “bad”, “healthy” or not, and really advocate for everyone doing (and eating) what works for them, well, if sweet potatoes are that for you, here are some cool health stats about them.
All About Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes contain nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, biotin, potassium, fiber, vitamin B3, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, phosphorus
- They’re packed with antioxidants, like beta-carotene.
- Some of pigments that give sweet potatoes their bright hue, like anthocyanin, can have anti-inflammatory benefits.
- The high fiber content of sweet potatoes makes them useful for blood sugar regulation (and interestingly, despite tasting sweeter than starchier white potatoes, sweet potatoes have a lower glycemic index ranking!)
There are so many different ways you can prepare sweet potatoes, from steaming to baking to roasting to mashing to pureeing and beyond! But today, we’re talking about baking them, specifically in wedge form.
So, I find it much easier to get a delicious baked sweet potato wedge at home than baked sweet potato fries. Sweet potato fries always seem to end up soggy or burnt or just hard to nail in general.
Wedges are a little thicker, and in combination with a drizzle of your favorite oil and my fave sweet potato spice blend, it just works.
With the oil – you do you. Olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, grapeseed oil – whatever floats your boat. The amount you need will vary based on how many sweet potatoes you’re turning into wedges (and how big they are – anyone else amazed how in the same store you can get sweet potatoes ranging in size from the palm of your hand to a football!?). You just need enough oil to lightly coat each sweet potato wedge.
Then – the magic.
MY FAVE SWEET POTATO SPICE BLEND
I’ve converted a bunch of friends onto the magic of this spice blend over the years. It’s honestly nothing mind-blowing, but I think a lot of people usually just stick to one or two of these spices together, not all of them. So, what’s in the special sweet potato spice blend already?
All you need is equal amounts of all five spices blended together and you can use as much or as little as you want on your sweet potato wedges!
I tend to be pretty liberal with my spice blend usage – put a good bit on there and toss with the sweet potato wedges and oil to coat everything evenly before baking.
Meal Pairing Inspo
These baked spiced sweet potato wedges are a solid fave side dish of ours. Some of our favorite meals to enjoy them with include:
- Burgers (they pair so well with my Adobo Chickpea Sweet Potato Burgers)
- Flaxseed Chicken Tenders
- Salads (have you tried my Golden Beet Salad or my Blueberry Kale Salad yet?)
- This soup-er easy 3-ingredient Black Bean Soup
- Wraps and sandwiches (PLEASE make my Slow Cooker Coconut Lime Chicken Collard Wraps – SO good!)
If you give ’em a go, be sure to let me and the rest of the NTF community know what you thought! Feel free to leave a comment below, pin to Pinterest, or share your thoughts and/ or a pic to the NTF Facebook Page or Instagram (tag me @nutritiontofit and use #nutritiontofit so everyone else can follow along!). Be well!
Baked Spiced Sweet Potato Wedges (with my fave sweet potato spice blend)
Baked Spiced Sweet Potato Wedges are a super flavorful, versatile side thanks to the best sweet potato spice blend!
free from: gluten, dairy, tree nuts, peanuts, egg, soy, shellfish, fish
Sweet Potato Spice Blend:
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
Sweet Potato Wedges:
- 2 sweet potatoes cleaned and cut into triangular wedges
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or other high heat oil of choice)
- sweet potato spice blend
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Combine spices for sweet potato spice blend. Set aside briefly.
Right on the baking sheet, toss the sweet potatoes with oil to lightly coat each wedge. Sprinkle the sweet potato spice blend on top (feel free to add more or less as you choose). Toss sweet potatoes, oil, and sweet potato spice blend to evenly distribute spices over sweet potato wedges.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are crisp (a little dark is okay!) and tender inside.
I leave the peel on the sweet potato, but you're welcome to peel it if you choose.
Any oil will work (even ghee would work).