This Pumpkin Spice Yogurt is a fall twist on the viral magic shell yogurt cup. High protein Greek yogurt is mixed with almond butter, pumpkin puree, and warm spices. It’s then covered in melted chocolate and sprinkled with pumpkin seeds and flaky salt, then briefly popped in the freezer for a magic shell-like topping . Such an insanely delicious high protein fall snack!
I love sharing how healthy eating doesn’t have to be boring or perfect. This pumpkin spice yogurt snack is a perfect example of just what I mean!
Truly, this pumpkin yogurt bowl has a great nutritional balance. A zero sugar vanilla Greek yogurt is mixed with nutrient-dense pumpkin puree, almond butter, and pumpkin pie spices for a base that tastes like pumpkin pie Greek yogurt.
But then we majorly dial up the fun, and satisfaction, with a melted chocolate shell topping that gives more texture, flavor, and really makes this yogurt feel like a treat.
Why This Pumpkin Spice Yogurt Recipe is SO Good:
- It’s got a great nutrition balance of protein, healthy fats, carbs, and fiber (with minimal added sugar).
- There’s staying power from the protein and healthy fats, so you won’t feel hungry again in 30 minutes.
- It’s super satisfying with the dessert-like chocolate shell!
- The homemade pumpkin pie Greek yogurt base is absolutely luscious.
- Chocolate – enough said.
- It’s incredibly delicious!
For a full ingredient list with quantities, please check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post!
- Greek Yogurt: use a single serving-sized container of your favorite Greek yogurt. I suggest a vanilla variety (with zero added sugar, if you prefer lower sugar snacks). If you use a plain yogurt, you’ll likely want to add a little maple syrup or other sweetener to sweeten to taste.
- Pumpkin: pure pumpkin puree adds volume, fiber, and many vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Almond Butter: full of heart healthy fats, fiber, and micronutrients, this adds more creaminess and makes this snack more filling to keep you satisfied for longer.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: essential to give those pumpkin pie Greek yogurt vibes!
- Chocolate Shell: you need mini chocolate chips and a touch of coconut oil to create your healthier, homemade magic shell topping
- Toppings: sprinkling more toppings into the melted chocolate topping before it hardens is a fun way to add more flavor and nutrition. I went with pepitas (aka pumpkin seeds) and flaky Maldon salt.
For complete instructions, please check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post!
- Start by creating your pumpkin pie Greek yogurt base. Mix the Greek yogurt, pumpkin, almond butter, and pumpkin pie spice until the pumpkin spice yogurt mixture is smooth.
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil together, then quickly pour over the yogurt and spread it out.
- Sprinkle on any other toppings, like pumpkin seeds and flaky salt.
- Pop it into the freezer for 10 minutes, or until the chocolate shell has hardened. Enjoy immediately!
- If you’re using an unsweetened yogurt and adding your own sweetener, do so in step 1 above.
- Make sure you’re using a clean bowl to melt the chocolate and coconut oil together. Any impurities can cause the chocolate to seize.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave slowly, to prevent the chocolate from burning. Start by microwaving for 20 seconds, then stir, then add another 10 seconds and stir again. Repeat with another 10 seconds if needed.
Substitutions & Variations
- Use your favorite higher protein yogurt – Greek yogurt, Icelandic style yogurt, skyr, quark, etc.
- To make lactose-free, use a lactose-free yogurt.
- For a vegan/ plant-based option, use your favorite plant-based Greek-style yogurt.
- Stick with either a vanilla flavored yogurt, or plain. If using plain, add sweetener to your preference, such as maple syrup or a liquid monk fruit sweetener.
- For a zero added sugar option, use zero added sugar yogurt and no added sugar chocolate chips.
- Change up the topping by using white chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet.
- Add some variety with your toppings – crushed nuts, pepitas, hemp hearts, flaky salt, coconut flakes, or even a caramel drizzle.
This is a single-serve treat, so you likely won’t have leftovers to worry about! But if you do have leftovers, or if you’re making ahead, cover your pumpkin spice yogurt bowl with an airtight cover and refrigerate up to 48 hours. The chocolate shell will stay hardened in the fridge.
Supplies You’ll Need
As an Amazon affiliate, I may earn a small amount from qualifying affiliate purchases at no cost to you.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Pumpkin Matcha
- Pumpkin Protein Balls
- High Protein Ninja Creami Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Chocolate Greek Yogurt
Did you make this recipe? Give it a 5★ rating below! For more balanced nutrition and simple, healthy-ish recipes, be sure to follow me on Instagram!
Pumpkin Spice Yogurt (VIRAL Magic Shell Yogurt Twist!)
- 1 5.3 ounce container vanilla, zero sugar Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips
- ¼ teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 pinch flaky Maldon salt
- Stir together the Greek yogurt, pumpkin, almond butter, and pumpkin spice. (You can use the container the yogurt came in, or you can transfer it to a small bowl). Smooth out the surface.1 5.3 ounce container vanilla, zero sugar Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree, 1 tablespoon almond butter, 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- In a separate small bowl, melt the chocolate chips with the coconut oil. Start with 30 seconds, then stir. Repeat with 10-15 second intervals, then stirring, until the chocolate is melted (it will take about a minute total).1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips, 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil
- Pour the melted chocolate over the yogurt and help smooth and spread it to cover the surface of the yogurt. Quickly sprinkle on pumpkin seeds and flaky salt.1 teaspoon pumpkin seeds, 1 pinch flaky Maldon salt
- Transfer to the freezer for 10 minutes to chill and harden.
- Use a spoon to open the "magic shell" chocolate topping and enjoy!