This gluten free Blueberry French Toast recipe is a surprisingly easy twist on French toast, with added natural sweetness from the blueberries. Plus, leftovers freeze easily and become a perfect weekday breakfast with a quick pop in the toaster!
Growing up there was usually one weekend breakfast that was special. Maybe mom would make monkey bread, muffins, or French toast before church, or we'd swing by to get donuts after church. After quickly grabbing bowls of cereal before heading out to school all week, these weekend breakfasts were much enjoyed!
Now that we have a little one of our own on the way, I've thought a lot about family traditions. Traditions that we grew up with unique to our own families, traditions that were similar in our families, traditions we've established in the nearly eight years we've been married, and new traditions we may want to start with our own little family. And one such tradition I'm loving is the idea of having a special family breakfast once a week!
So, to kick off our tradition, we made this Blueberry French Toast one Sunday. The great thing about it is that yes - it's a little different, special and outside of our norm (hello eggs, smoothies, and cereal!) but it's easy!! Plus if you have leftovers, they freeze great and can quickly be popped in the toaster. So maybe a special breakfast can actually happen a couple days a week!
Truthfully I think you could use most fruits here - bananas, strawberries, mango, etc. But when I first made this recipe years ago I used blueberries, and I just haven't stopped making it that way since! You can also use whatever type of bread you want. I used a whole grain gluten free bread, but you could also use sprouted grain bread, whole wheat bread - the world's your oyster! Be mindful though, that however large your bread slices are will determine how many pieces of French toast you'll get from the recipe - the bigger the bread, the fewer the slices!
Let me know if you give it a try, and I hope you and your family enjoy it as much as me and mine! Have a great day. Be well!
Blueberry French Toast
- 12-14 slices gluten free bread
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk or milk alternative, like almond milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat a griddle to 350 degrees (could also use a nonstick skillet over medium heat).
- Puree eggs, milk, blueberries, and vanilla in a blender until an even, smooth consistency is formed.
- Dip bread slices into egg mixture, allowing the bread to soak up a bit of the liquid.
- Place the bread slices on the skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown, then flip. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately! You can top with more blueberries, real maple syrup, etc!
- If any leftovers remain, freeze them and when you're ready to eat, toast in the toaster on the "Frozen Toast" setting for a few minutes.