These double chocolate banana muffins are delicious and family-approved (dietitian mom approved, too, with less sugar and healthy additions like greek yogurt and flax seeds).
Somehow the past three years have flown by and my sweet little girl turned three yesterday. She is such a free spirit with the biggest heart and the biggest little muffin fan around! Sure, she likes to eat muffins, but she LOVES to make muffins! So it seemed fitting that in honor of her birthday I share one of our family's favorite muffin recipes that we've been making over a year! Gluten free double chocolate banana muffins - tasty enough for dessert, wholesome enough for breakfast. 😉 Pro tip - if you've got a birthday coming up in your house, sprinkle a few rainbow sprinkles on top and these choc banana muffins make an excellent birthday breakfast.
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins Ingredients
These muffins are fairly straightforward, with no overly complicated ingredients. Here's what ya need:
- Overripe bananas
- Honey or maple syrup
- Plain, nonfat greek yogurt
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Gluten-free flour (a cup 4 cup/ measure for measure blend)
- Cocoa powder
- Ground flaxseeds
- Baking soda
- Chocolate chips
How to Make Choc Banana Muffins
Like most muffin and quick bread recipes, these gluten free chocolate banana muffins are pretty straightforward. Start by combining the wet ingredients, then stir in the dry ingredients, then the chocolate chips.
This is up to you, but I like to top my muffins with some of the chocolate chips, so I usually reserve a couple tablespoons of chocolate chips from the half cup called for in the ingredients, and save those to place on top.
One tip! This may be more of a personal preference, but I like a very smooth banana puree so the liquids blend easily, as opposed to a chunky banana puree where pieces of banana are noticeable in the finished muffin. I find the easiest way to do this is to use a stand mixer (or hand mixer) and use the paddle attachment to smoothly process the overripe bananas. Then just mix in the remaining wet ingredients, add the dry, then the chocolate chips, and done!
More Healthy Muffin Recipes
If you enjoy these double chocolate banana muffins, check out these other healthy muffin recipes:
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 3 bananas (medium, overripe, mashed)
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup nonfat, plain greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup gluten-free measure for measure flour
- ½ cup ground flaxseeds
- 10 tablespoon cocoa powder (equivalent to ½ cup + 2 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a muffin tin with parchment liners or by lightly spraying with nonstick spray.
- Mix wet ingredients (bananas, honey, egg, oil, greek yogurt) until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, flaxseeds, baking soda, an salt) and stir until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips (if you want to top your muffins with chocolate chips, reserve a couple tablespoons of chocolate chips for topping).
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 23-27 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. If you're making mini muffins, bake 13-17 minutes.
- When done, let cool for a few minutes before removing from muffin tins. Enjoy!