This chocolate chai tea is a delicious hybrid between hot chocolate and a chai latte that happens to be dairy-free with zero added sugar!
Chocolate Chai Tea
It may be the new year when everyone is hyped up on healthy resolutions and goals, but that doesn't change the fact that cozy, warm beverages just go hand-in-hand with cooler winter months. My two favorite cozy beverage treats have got to be variations of hot chocolate and chai lattes (like my peppermint hot chocolate, golden chai latte, and gingerbread chai latte), so it just seemed natural to make a chocolate chai tea latte!
This cozy chai hot chocolate almost hints of a Mexican hot chocolate, with subtle warming spices mingling with sweet cocoa.
Except one thing - this hot chocolate chai latte is actually low in sugar! There are actually zero added sugars in this drink! It's very subtly sweetened by fruit - a medjool date!
How to Make Chai Hot Chocolate
This chai hot chocolate is actually really simple to make.
- Steep a chai tea bag in hot water.
- In a blender combine chai tea with unsweetened almond milk, cocoa or cacao powder, and a pitted medjool date.
That's it! You can elevate this chocolate chai tea a couple different ways:
- Try adding some full fat coconut milk or coconut cream for extra creaminess and fats that will add more satiety and can help stabilize blood sugar.
- Add 1-2 scoops of collagen peptides or another protein powder of choice. The added protein will also increase satiety and keep you fuller longer.
- If you're interested in adaptogens these can easily be added!
If you make this chocolate chai tea, be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe below. And you can always take a picture and share to social media (tag @nutritiontofit and #nutritiontofit) for a chance to be featured on my social media accounts!
Chocolate Chai Tea
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 chai tea bag
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (or other plant-based beverage of choice)
- 2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 medjool date pitted
- Steep chai tea bag in hot water for 3 minutes.
- In a blender, combine steeped tea and remaining ingredients and blend for 1-2 minutes until date is pulverized and chocolate chai tea is frothy. Serve immediately and enjoy.