This golden beet salad with blueberry lime dressing is a colorful, healthy salad recipe that is packed with nutrition and flavor!
Happy Friday! The weather has been pretty dreary around here lately, meaning I need to get my sunshine and color from my food! 😉 Hence this golden beet salad with blueberry lime dressing!
Easy Golden Beet Salad
This salad may look like it has a lot going on, but it’s pretty simple to whip together.
- While the beets are sauteing you can prep the rest of the salad – should be ready on your table in 10 minutes!
- Use pre-cooked chicken, meaning leftover grilled chicken you made previously or even rotisserie chicken you picked up from the store.
- While the dressing looks bold, bright, thick, and luxurious, it actually just has three ingredients and whips together lickity split in a food processor or blender.
Golden Beets Health Benefits
What makes golden beets so healthy?
- They contain good amounts of fiber, iron, potassium, folic acid
- Like many orange and yellow-colored fruits and vegetables, they’re packed with significant amounts of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytonutrients: vitamin C, vitamin A, beta-carotene, potassium, magnesium, lycopene, flavonoids, and zeaxanthin.
How are golden beets different from red beets?
- Both are highly nutritious options!
- The pigments responsible for their color are in the same family – one big difference is the betalains in red and purple beet varieties are the culprits behind beeturia (when your urine may turn pink after eating beets).
- Golden beets are less likely to stain your hands and cutting boards (or cause beeturia lol). 😉
- Some say anecdotally that golden beets don’t have as strong a flavor as red beets.
Golden Beet Salad with Blueberry Lime Dressing Recipe Notes
- Feel free to substitute your preferred protein – fish, shrimp, baked tofu, garbanzo beans, lentils, etc.
- You of course can use any type of beet variety if you can’t find/ don’t prefer golden beets
- You can use any preferred leafy greens/ salad base if you can’t find/ don’t prefer baby kale
- While the beet sprouts are stunning in color, they’re not always easy to find. Feel free to use any other kind of sprout or microgreen if you’d prefer!
- Note: use caution with sprouts if you’re pregnant or have a compromised immune system – there actually can be high amounts of foodborne bacteria like salmonella in sprouts due to growing practices.
If you give this salad a try, be sure to comment and rate the recipe below. And of course, you can always share your food pics with me on social media! Tag your photos with @nutritiontofit and #nutritiontofit so I’ll see! Can’t wait to see what colorful creations you come up with! Be well!
Golden Beet Salad with Blueberry Lime Dressing
- 3 golden beets peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 6 oz cooked chicken breast
- 6 oz baby kale salad greens
- ½ avocado peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup beet sprouts or preferred sprouts or microgreens
- ½ cup blueberries
Blueberry Lime Dressing:
- ½ cup blueberries
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Juice from 1 lime
- Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Melt coconut oil and add golden beet slices. Cook 4-5 minutes per side, or until beets are soft and tender.
- In a blender, food processor, or mini food chopper, puree dressing ingredients (blueberries, coconut oil, lime juice).
- Assemble salads by creating a base of greens and adding golden beets, cooked chicken, avocado, sprouts or microgreens, and blueberries. Dressing will be thick, so spoon over the salad.