Happy Fourth of July!
What better way to celebrate than with festively patriotic food!? That was totally the inspiration for today's Fruity Quinoa Salad!
Now, I know some people have really strong feelings about fruit in salads in any shape or form. I have some friends that refuse to eat any kind of salad if there's fruit in it. I'm amazed that we're still able to be friends (just kidding!), because I freaking LOVE fruit in my salads! Whether it be fresh fruit on the salad, a fruit-based dressing or marinade (like my Strawberry Salmon Salad), or using citrus for flavor or as a dressing, I'm all about fruity salads all the time.
My simple Fruity Quinoa Salad uses fresh fruit with these gorgeous cherries and blueberries. It also uses orange juice in a dressing that just adds another layer of subtle sweet flavor.
I didn't want the salad to get too sweet in flavor, so I also added one of my absolute favorite seasoning blends: herbes de Provence. Herbes de Provence is a mixture of dried herbs often found in the Provence region in southeastern France. The blend often includes savory, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, and oregano. In North American markets, the blends are sold containing lavender, too, which I'll be honest - I love!
Once the simple dressing is prepared, all you need to do is toss cooked and cooled quinoa, the dressing and fresh fruit together and pair with some creamy crumbled goat cheese and crunchy toasted sunflower seeds. It makes for a very light and refreshing salad that's packed with protein and antioxidants. A great way to refuel on a hot summer's day playing outside!
If you guys try this Fruity Quinoa Salad be sure to tag me (@nutritiontofit and #nutritiontofit) on Instagram, or share to my Facebook page. I'd love to see you and your family and friends enjoying this summertime salad perfect for barbecue picnics!
Fruity Quinoa Salad
- 1 c. cooked quinoa
- ¼ c. blueberries
- ¼ c. pitted and quartered cherries
- 1 tablespoon toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon herbes de Provence
- Allow cooked quinoa to cool.
- Combine quinoa, blueberries, cherries, sunflower seeds, and cheese in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, extra virgin olive oil, and herbes de provence.
- Drizzle quinoa mixture with the orange dressing and gently toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate until serving. Can be made in advance and refrigerated 1-2 days.
Rachael @ Rachael's Foodie Life says
This sounds amazing Lindsey! I love fruit in salad, well with anything really!
Lindsey Janeiro says
Thanks Rachael!! And me toooo! LOVE fruit in salads!