This Chicken & Kale White Bean Chili is packed with delicious flavor, family-friendly, and naturally gluten- and dairy-free.
It seems like much of the United States is basically frozen right now. I mean heck - it even snowed in Florida yesterday!!
While it didn't snow here in Sarasota, it's definitely been chilly - which means it's the perfect time for chili. 😉 (omg I know, I can't handle my own food puns either)
This recipe for Chicken & Kale White Bean Chili is one that my family has enjoyed a few times now. The first time I made it, I had it cooking all afternoon in a slow cooker. The chili looked really good, and it smelled really good, so I had high hopes. But even with expectations set high, my husband and I both took a bite and just said, "WHOA". Expectations = surpassed.
We've since enjoyed this Chicken & Kale White Bean Chili a few times. It's excellent both on the slow cooker and on the stove top (I have the stove top directions under the recipe notes below). We've also frozen leftovers which make an easy weeknight dinner when thawed and reheated (and they still taste great!).
And of course, I have to keep all my food allergy and sensitivity friends in mind! Here are some notes:
- This Chicken & Kale White Bean Chili is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free. The broth gets a thicker and slightly creamier consistency by adding pureed beans to the broth.
- For beans you could easily use a navy bean, great Northern bean, or cannellini bean. If you tolerate other types of beans better, you could also easily substitute pinto beans, and possibly garbanzo beans (or use a mixture of different types).
- I used chicken breast, but you could easily substitute chicken thighs, or even other proteins if preferred, like turkey breast or lean pork.
- You could also use any other type of green (like spinach, swiss chard, collard greens) instead of kale, based on what your body tolerates and what you have available to use.
For the toppings, you don't have to use anything and you can eat it as is. But, I know I have some friends who are all about the toppings on chili, so here are some of my favorite topping ideas:
- avocado! creamy, delicious, and pairs perfectly with the flavors in the Chicken & Kale White Bean Chili
- lime juice - I am obsessed with squeezing a wedge of lime over my bowl of chicken & kale white bean chili for a burst of zesty flavor that tastes awesome with the garlic and cumin in the chili
- a dollop of plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- a sprinkle of shredded cheese (a sharp white cheddar or parmesan would be delicious!)
But of course, do what works for you! I can't wait to hear how you guys love this chili. I truly hope you love it as much as we do! Be sure to share your thoughts with the NTF community on Facebook, or post a photo to Instagram and tag @nutritiontofit and use the hashtag #nutritiontofit. Be well!
Chicken & Kale White Bean Chili
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 jalapeno seeds and membranes removed and diced
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts boneless, skinless; chopped into one-inch pieces
- 4 oz chopped green chilis 1 small can
- 3 cans white beans drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chicken stock low-sodium
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups kale chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional toppings: avocado, lime, greek yogurt or sour cream, shredded cheese, pico, etc.
- In a large slow cooker, combine onion, jalapeno, chicken, and chilis.
- Using a blender or immersion blender, combine 1 can of beans with 1 c. chicken stock and blend until it's a very smooth puree.
- Add bean puree and remaining beans, stock, and spices to the slow cooker.
- Cook in slow cooker on high 3-4 hours or on low 6-8 hours.
- About a half hour before eating, stir in chopped kale.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings and enjoy.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 48 hours, or can be frozen in an airtight container up to 3 months.