Pomegranate Lentil Butternut Salad uses POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice for an antioxidant-packed, #CrazyHealthy, crazy delicious salad. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by POM Wonderful and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
I know juice can sometimes get a bad rep, but do you know how #CrazyHealthy the right kind of juice can be? POM Wonderful is certainly that! Here are some fun facts about the nutritional knockout that is pomegranate juice:
- POM Wonderful 100% Juice is powered by antioxidants. The pomegranate is whole-pressed, meaning a unique blend of polyphenol antioxidants from two whole pomegranates – including its fruit, pith and rind – is found in each 8 oz bottle.
- Research that includes POM Wonerful 100% Pomegranate Juice uses 8 oz per day in its studies on muscle strength recovery, memory and cognition, microbiome, and more.
- POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice is a good source of potassium. Each 8 oz bottle contains as much as a medium banana.
I definitely wanted to capitalize on this antioxidant powerhouse and use the juice in one of my favorite ways: as a natural sweetener and flavor-enhancer.
I used POM Wonderful 100% Juice two ways in this Pomegranate Lentil Butternut Salad. First, I let cooked butternut squash and lentils simmer in pomegranate juice for a few minutes, so they could absorb some of the delicious flavor and sweetness.
Pro tip: we’re not juicing pomegranates from scratch here, so don’t be a hero – feel free to buy pre-chopped butternut squash and pre-cooked lentils. I won’t tell, especially because I’m doing the same thing. Efficiency FTW!
Second, while the butternut and lentils are cooking and you’re getting your salads ready, we’re going to reduce some of the POM Wonderful 100% pomegranate juice. If you’ve never made a reduction before, don’t be scared. I know it sounds super complex, but just take a deep breath, pour your juice in a pot, turn the heat on medium, and walk away.
That’s it! Let it simmer and reduce down for 10-15 minutes, or until there’s only about 1/4 the original amount left, then remove it from the heat and allow it to cool a few minutes. (You could even make this ahead of time so there’s one less thing between you and dinner when it’s late and you’re ravenous.)
Then to really go the extra mile, add some pomegranate arils on top – same health benefits, while adding some more fiber and a bright, juicy crunch to the salad. (Okay, and I feel like I’m now teetering a line between efficient and lazy here, but if you don’t feel like de-seeding a whole pomegranate, POM Wonderful also sells packaged fresh pomegranate arils!)
Now that I’m realizing that I should have named this Pomegranate Lentil Butternut Salad the POM Antioxidants x Antioxidants x Antioxidants Salad instead, you should give it a try! It’s surprisingly simple to make, and comes together literally in minutes if you prep your butternut lentil mixture and your pomegranate reduction beforehand. If you make your own Pomegranate Lentil Butternut Salad, be sure to share a pic on social media (like the NTF Facebook Page and Instagram), tagging myself (@nutritiontofit) and POM Wonderful (@pomwonderful) with the hashtag #CrazyHealthy! Be well!
Pomegranate Lentil Butternut Salad
Pomegranate Lentil Butternut Salad uses POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice for an antioxidant-packed, #CrazyHealthy, crazy delicious salad.
free from: soy, dairy, gluten, egg, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts
- 1 1/2 cup POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
- 1 cup butternut squash chopped
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 tsp oil (any oil of choice: coconut, olive, avocado, etc.)
- 5 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup kale stems removed and finely shredded
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- Pour 1 c. POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice into a small pot and place over medium heat. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until mixture has reduced to about 1/4 it's original mixture. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, saute butternut squash in oil until squash is tender. Add pre-cooked lentils and remaining 1/2 c. POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice and simmer until all juice has been absorbed by butternut squash and lentils.
- Arrange salads with a bed of baby spinach and top with the lentil butternut squash mixture, shredded kale, and fresh pomegranate arils.
- Drizzle cooled pomegranate reduction over the whole salad.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.