I received free samples of Sabra Hummus mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
You guys know that I love my random food holidays, so when I heard what was coming this weekend, I was pumped! This Saturday, May 13, 2017 is National Hummus Day! Basically a day I celebrate allllll the time.
Why do I love hummus so much? Well – it’s delicious. Especially when you can find hummus in SO many flavors! Being chickpea-based, hummus makes a fantastic plant-based protein packed with fiber. While I love using it as a spread on sandwich, or a flavorful binder in egg or tuna salads, my favorite way to eat hummus is as a snack or appetizer.
Now, if you’re also gluten-free, you’re probably used to hanging out around the raw veggie crudite at parties and crossing your fingers for some hummus so you’re not just munching plain baby carrots all night. And honestly? You probably start to avoid that after a while, too because of good ol’ cross-contamination (I have a severe anaphylaxis reaction to tree nuts and one holiday I had an allergic reaction after someone was using their hands eating from the bowl of mixed nuts and then using the same hand and manhandling the baby carrots…).
Friends – this appetizer is for you. It’s a fun and delicious one or two-bite gluten free appetizer that will instantly have you hovering around this platter instead of the crudite. These Gluten Free Hummus Poppers with Whipped Avocado Hummus sound (and look!) super elevated, but the secret? They’re so easy.
The Gluten Free Hummus Poppers have just a few ingredients and cook in less than five minutes. They get so light and airy, and just are so crisp when you pop them in your mouth.
I know one of the ingredients is tapioca starch and that may sound kind of strange, but it’s not, pinky-swear! It’s gluten-free, helps hold the poppers together, and keeps them light and crisp. It’s super easy and affordable to find, too, so don’t let that scare you (I got a bag for less than $2 at Walmart).
The flavor is dialed up another notch or ten when you top with a small dollop of the Whipped Avocado Hummus. It’s just avocado, hummus, and a little lemon juice for a bright and creamy contrast that makes this gluten free appetizer have it all going on.
These little Hummus Poppers make an excellent gluten-free appetizer, too, because they’re so versatile with flavorings. Sabra has a wide variety of hummus flavors, and I tested this recipe with several of their varieties. The classic hummus makes a nice, neutral base. My husband is a heat-fanatic, so he loved these with their supremely spicy hummus. Me? I kept coming back to the roasted red pepper hummus. It adds the perfect, subtle flavor and also gives it a beautiful color.
So, when you’re planning snacks for your Hummus Day party tomorrow, don’t forget to include this hummus-on-hummus masterpiece of Gluten Free Hummus Poppers with Whipped Avocado Hummus. Let me know which flavor of hummus you love with it most!
Gluten Free Hummus Poppers with Whipped Avocado HummusPrint
Gluten Free Hummus Poppers:
- 1/2 cup Sabra hummus I used Roasted Red Pepper
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Whipped Avocado Hummus:
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup Sabra hummus
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Optional garnish: thin sliced red bell pepper and fresh parsley
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet or griddle to medium-high heat (350 degrees).
- Heat olive oil in skillet or brush on griddle.
- Using a fork, stir together the hummus and egg until combined.
- Add in the tapioca starch and stir carefully (it's a very fine powder) until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in baking powder (you'll quickly see the baking powder react and the mixture get a "fluffier" texture).
- Immediately place tablespoons of batter on the hot skillet or griddle. Flip after 1-2 minutes, or when the top of the batter is starting to bubble.
- Remove and transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- To prepare the Whipped Avocado Hummus: use a mini chopper or food processor to puree the avocado, hummus, and lemon juice for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- Place a small dollop of Whipped Avocado Hummus on the popper, garnish with parsley leaves and thin slices of red bell pepper, and serve.