Grilled fruit is the perfect summer dessert and these grilled watermelon skewers with yogurt lime sauce are no exception. Simple, fast, and full of flavor, grilled watermelon skewers are a great way to make a healthy grilled dessert the whole family will enjoy.
Grilled fruit is one of the quintessential summer desserts. While there are many fruits that perform great when grilled (like peaches, plums, pineapples, bananas, etc.), grilled watermelon has always been a personal favorite. Watermelon is just such sweet, refreshing, and hydrating which is exactly what I need on a hot day of summer fun and grilling. These grilled watermelon kebabs with yogurt lime dipping sauce are a perfect way to celebrate summer with everyone's favorite summertime fruit and favorite summertime cooking method.
Now for some notes on the grilled watermelon skewers with yogurt lime sauce recipe and some frequently asked questions:
How does grilled watermelon taste?
If you haven't tried grilled fruit before, I know you may be a little skeptical and left wondering, "what does grilled watermelon taste like?" - I sure was! Grilled watermelon loses a little bit of the sweetness and crispness of fresh watermelon. It almost takes on the texture of seared ahi tuna. While these grilled watermelon skewers aren't grilled for very long (so you may not notice as many noticeable changes), grilled watermelon tends to get slightly chewier in texture.
How do you make grilled watermelon?
I have the full recipe posted below, but in this grilled watermelon skewers recipe, I've alternated watermelon cubes and thin lime slices on a skewer to infuse some lime into the watermelon while grilling. Then I just brush the watermelon skewers with a little melted coconut oil to help prevent them from sticking to the grill and grill for a couple minutes on both sides.
What goes with grilled watermelon?
Grilled watermelon pairs great with the yogurt lime sauce I share in the recipe below. It adds another level of texture, sweetness, and citrus zest for a more flavorful dish. In terms of what other foods grilled watermelon goes with, I love pairing grilled fruit, like these grilled watermelon skewers, as a side or healthy dessert for many summer grilling meals. We enjoyed ours with tomato basil chicken kebabs and creamy cucumber salad.
Is grilled fruit healthy?
This registered dietitian certainly puts a stamp of approval on grilled fruit! Fruit is a healthy addition to any diet, and grilling it is a great way to add some variety to the textures and flavors while still keeping it pretty healthy.
Also, if you remember our conversation about grilled meats producing HCAs, a potentially toxic compound, this concern isn't applicable when it comes to grilled fruit and grilled vegetables, so eat up and enjoy!
I don't have a grill - how can I still make these grilled watermelon skewers?
Try using a grill pan inside over high heat! I haven't tried these grilled watermelon skewers in a grill pan, but I've been able to replicate many other outdoor grill recipes inside by using an inside grill pan on my stove.
What substitutions can I make in this grilled watermelon skewers with yogurt lime sauce recipe?
As with all NTF recipes, these grilled watermelon skewers are already pretty simple, but here are a few substitution guidelines if needed:
- Sub any neutral high-heat oil (like avocado oil) for coconut oil, if you don't like/ have/ can't have coconut oil.
- I LOVE limes in this watermelon recipe, but you could also use lemons or even orange slices.
- Need dairy-free? Sub your favorite plain dairy-free yogurt in place of regular plain yogurt.
- Don't have agave nectar? Try using other liquid sweeteners, like honey or even maple syrup if that's all you have (that will affect the flavor, though!).
- See above notes for making indoors - or even skip the grilling and just enjoy fresh watermelon with a squeeze of lime juice dipped in the yogurt lime sauce! You do you!
Want more healthy grilling recipes?
Try these NTF faves!
- Grilled Steak Fajitas Veggie Bowls
- Grilled Greek Salad
- Grilled Salmon with 4-Ingredient Orange Herb Marinade
- Grilled Tomato Steaks
- Grilled Asian Flank Steak Sandwiches
- Grilled Hasselback Potatoes
- Tomato Basil Chicken Kebabs
When you gives these grilled watermelon skewers with yogurt lime sauce a try, be sure to let us know what you think! Rate the recipe and leave a comment below, and as always be sure to share a pic to social media (tag @nutritiontofit and #nutritiontofit). Live well!
Grilled Watermelon Skewers with Yogurt Lime Sauce
For the Watermelon Skewers:
- 4 cups watermelon cubed
- 2 limes sliced very thinly
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
For the Yogurt Lime Sauce:
- ½ cup yogurt plain
- 1 lime juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- Preheat grill.
- For each watermelon skewer, you'll need one cup watermelon cubes (about 6 cubes) and thin lime slices from half a lime (about 5 slices). To assemble skewers, alternate a watermelon cube with a folded lime slice.
- Brush watermelon skewers with melted coconut oil to prevent sticking.
- Grill watermelon skewers for two minutes over high heat, then flip and grill another 2 minutes. Remove from grill and set aside.
- To prepare the lime yogurt sauce, combine the yogurt, agave nectar, and the juice and zest from one lime.
- Serve immediately.