When people think of summertime fare, they often think of salads and grilling. So, why not combine the best of both worlds? Enter: my Grilled Greek Salad.
My husband and I fell head over heels for this Grilled Greek Salad. It has nuanced flavors that reminded us of a trip to Greece a few years ago, while of course having a summertime flare by using the grill.
And yes – we grilled all the produce! Red onion, bell pepper, tomato, and yes even the cucumber all went on the grill. It’s awesome how well everything held up to a quick grilling to give a little char!
To ensure best results with the vegetable grilling, try these tips to get the best Grilled Greek Salad:
- Slice the bell pepper into rings that are a little on the thicker side – about a half-inch thick. Once the bell pepper is sliced you can easily remove any membranes and seeds from the side of the bell pepper rings.
- Slice red onion into half-inch thick slices as well. Keep the onion in slices are you’re grilling and break into individual red onion rings after grilling.
- Select a firmer tomato variety. Remove the stem and cut in half horizontally.
- Use fresh, firm cucumbers. I prefer cucumbers without large seeds or any seeds, so I used small Persian cucumbers in this recipe. I would also use English/ seedless cucumbers. Whatever firm cucumber you select, slice lengthwise.
- Brush one side of the red onion and bell pepper rings with olive oil.
- Brush the cut side of tomato and cucumber with olive oil.
- Place vegetables cut-side down on the grill over a medium-high heat.
- Only grill for a few minutes, or until there is a little color on the vegetables.
Once you pull the veggies, you just chop the cucumber and tomato a little further and toss all the veggies into a bowl. Combine the ingredients for the simple three-ingredient Greek dressing and toss with the produce. Add some crumbled feta and pitted kalamata olives and your Grilled Greek Salad is complete!
Grilled Greek Salad
- 3 medium-sized firm tomatoes, stem removed and cut in half
- 4 small Persian cucumbers cut in half lengthwise
- 1 green bell pepper sliced into 1/2-inch thick rings with the membrane and seed discarded
- 1 small red onion sliced into 1/2-inch thick rings (keep in whole slices for grilling)
- olive oil
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Make dressing by whisking the extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, and salt. Set aside.
Brush all vegetables (tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, red onion) with olive oil on the cut side.
Place vegetables on the grill and grill 4-5 mintues on one side to add a little color and smoky flavor. Vegetables do not need to be turned.
Remove from grill and allow to cool until they are cool enough to handle.
Chop each tomato half into four pieces and each Persian cucumber half into three pieces.
Separate the red onion into individual rings.
While still warm, place vegetables in a bowl. Toss with dressing.
Add feta cheese and pitted kalamata olives for one last gentle toss before serving.