These Chicken Philly Quinoa Bowls make an easy weeknight dinner that can be customized to what you and your family enjoy and have on hand!
I love to encourage my clients to have fun in the kitchen. Get creative! Cooking doesn’t have to be intimidating, a huge ordeal, or stressful. And one of the things that holds up a lot of people? The intimidation factor of recipes.
That’s why I’m determined to share super simple, no-stress recipes. Like this one, for Chicken Philly Quinoa Bowls! Think of them more like guides. Get creative with it! My first college degree was in music and growing up immersed in a creative culture is partially why I love cooking; it’s another avenue to create and express yourself!
When it comes to this Chicken Philly Quinoa Bowls dinner, it’s super easy. I have ingredient amounts specified in the recipe below, but think of it more as an outline you can embellish. Here are some ways you can think about this easy dinner to approach it to create a meal that fits your wants and needs:
- Generally speaking, when creating an easy meal think about what foods you and your family like, what you have on hand, and if there are any foods that need to be used stat (we’ve all come home from the store to have produce that magically went from almost ripe to ripe on the drive home, right? 😉 )
- For any of the vegetables – add more of what you love and less of what you don’t. Love caramelized onions? Use a whole onion, or two! Have more mushrooms that need to be utilized? Chop ’em up and add them in! Prefer kale over spinach? Use that! You can add other vegetables that aren’t listed here, like sliced zucchini or eggplant, too.
- For protein, you don’t have to add any extra. With this meal in particular, the quinoa base actually has all essential amino acids in it. Then there are small amounts of protein in the mushrooms, cheese, etc. This is a great way to use up any leftover chicken you have on hand, or you use any other protein (steak, pork, sausage, tofu, beans, lentils, etc. You could even fry an egg to put on top!)
- Dislike cheese or have an intolerance? Leave it out! If you’re looking for added creaminess you could always add things like hummus or plain yogurt, too.
- Don’t like quinoa or don’t have any on hand? You can use any sort of base! In fact this meal was created because I didn’t have any bread to make chicken philly sandwiches with. So check your pantry and see what you have. You can use bread, rice, any whole grain, pasta, polenta, etc.
- Use as much or as little seasoning as you like. As a general rule, start small and work your way up – it’s a lot easier to add seasoning than it is to take away. 😉
Play with it and have fun! Make these Chicken Philly Quinoa Bowls a meal that you and your family will enjoy and use what you have. Keep it simple! Life is far too crazy to let food stress you out. 😉